This seasonal resident has been having engine issues with his 24’ Pursuit for quite a while and finally had the tanks cleaned. Fortunately, that was just what the boat needed albeit long overdue.
After checking the integrity of the complete fuel system, I found that the seals were bad, the tanks had a corrosion buildup on the sender/tank interface, and there was even damage to one of the fuel vents.
I removed a fair accumulation of solid contamination and about one gallon of water contamination. The seals were replaced and the sender/tank interface was cleaned and smoothed. The fuel vent will be replaced as well.
By the way, it is critical to gain access to the fuel tank floor through the sender opening. There are multiple ways to “attempt” to clean a fuel tank, but only one way to do it right.